Our chemistry alumni enjoy professional success in a variety of exciting and rewarding career fields. Whether you want a career in pharmaceuticals, forensics, laboratory research, medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, science education, chemical engineering, materials science, technical writing, or even law, a chemistry major from Elmhurst—tailored to your specific goals—propels you in the right direction.
Elmhurst alumni have achieved great success in a variety of professional positions. For example:
- Dr. Kathleen O'Leary Havelka '87, who works for Lubrizol in Wickliffe, Ohio, was recently honored as one of the top American women in chemistry.
- Dr. John Aikens '87, works as a biological organic chemistry researcher at Medichem Corporation in the suburban Chicago area.
- Therese Dorigan '88, earned her law degree and currently practices environmental law in Oak Brook, Illinois. She was an All-American volleyball player on Elmhurst's 1985 national championship team and a straight-A student.
More recent graduates are pursuing postgraduate studies in exciting and prestigious programs:
- Cynthia Bugajski ’01, completed medical school at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She is currently a pediatric resident at Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn.
- Kristen Fleming ’99, received her Ph.D. in organic chemistry from the University of Notre Dame. She is currently employed in the pharmaceutical industry as a research chemist for Albany Molecular Research Institute n Albany, NY.
- Zach Hund '11 and Ben Zalisko '09 are pursuing a Ph.D. in chemistry at The University of Chicago
- Michael Gannon '11 is studying for a Doctor of Pharmacy at the University of Illinois at Chicago
Your Elmhurst College chemistry degree will open doors to a wealth of careers. Whatever path you choose, we will give you the tools you need to get where you want to go.