At Elmhurst College, you’ll find the resources you need to complete a thorough, comprehensive, and varied education.
The Department of Chemistry houses five modern teaching laboratories, several small instrumental rooms, a chemical stockroom, a student computer lab, a student lounge, and several faculty/student research laboratories. We also share the use of several multi-media classrooms.
And as the technology of scientific study evolves, so does Elmhurst. We constantly implement new upgrades of our facilities to help you stay on the leading edge of research and study.
Our major instrumentation includes:
- Perkin-Elmer R24B NMR Spectrometer upgraded for FT-NMR
- Hewlett Packard 8453 UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Perkin-Elmer 403 AA Spectrophotometer
- Spectronic Genesys 20 Visible Spectrophotometer (10)
- Perkin-Elmer LS 55 Flourescence Spectrophotometer
- Nicolet 4700 FT-IR System, w/ libraries
- Shimadzu UV-Vis 1201 Spectrophotometer
- Hewlett Packard 1800A GCD Gas Chromatograph/Mass Spectrometer
- Gas Chromatograph/FID (2 systems)
- Waters Associates HPLC/Ion Chromatograph (2 Systems)
- Gow-Mac 69-350 Gas Chromatograph
Computers for Student Use
- Computer Classroom/Lab with 29 dual systems iMacs
- Computer Lab with a variety of computers (12)
- Freshman Lab with laptops (12) and Vernier System probes
- PCs interfaced with instruments (6)
- Dell Precision Workstation
- Wireless access throughout Schaible Science Center
- EC Epsilon Potentiostat/Galvanostat (PC controlled)
- Parr Instruments 1221 Oxygen Bomb Calorimeter
- Beckman Instruments Electroscan
- Bausch and Lomb Abbe' Refractomoter (2)
- CEM Microwave Synthesis Apparatus
- Balston Dryer for FTIR
- BIO-RAD Electrophonesis Apparatus
- -80 Degree Program
Molecular Modeling and Visualization Software/Hardware
- CAChe Molecular Modeling Software (CAChe Scientific) - Unlimited Yearly Site License for EC students and faculty (office or home use)
- Spartan Molecular Modeling Software
- Maple V - Mathematical Software (Site License with Math and Physics)
- Dell Precision Workstation, 1 GB RAM, dual 1.7 GHz Xeon processors for running advanced computational chemistry software such as the General Atomic and Molecular Electronic Structure System (GAMESS)
- ChemDraw Pro software
- ACS Journals Online–The library has an electronic subscription to the full set of ACS journals.
- Scifinder Scholar from Chemical Abstracts Service available on campus.