To be considered for admission to the nursing program at Elmhurst College, the following documentation must be submitted. Admission to nursing is contingent upon admission to the College
2. A signed form, verifying the applicant is aware of (1) the health requirements, functional abilities, and essential qualifications required for admission to the nursing program; and (2) where to find the requirements (detailed in the baccalaureate nursing program student handbook).
3. Completion of the Verification of Truthfulness in Application to the Nursing Program.
4. Two writing samples.
Sample 1: A one-page written personal statement. This is a word-processed personal statement answering the following questions in 250 words or less. When writing your answers, keep in mind that nursing is more than just “helping people.” It is a science-based, professional practice discipline. For further information on nursing as a professional practice discipline, read The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice.
In your personal statement, address:
In what ways is nursing a science-based, professional practice discipline?
What makes you interested in a science-based, professional nursing career?
Sample 2: A one paragraph written response to a selected topic that is given to the applicant at the time of the A2 test. This will be completed, on campus, during the A2 testing time. The topic will be given during the testing time.
Both samples will be evaluated on the applicant’s ability to compose written communication at the college level.
5. Two professor recommendations, using the Letter of Recommendation form. Each letter of recommendation must be submitted in a sealed envelope that has been signed across the flap by the recommender. No more than one recommendation may come from a science professor. Forms are included with the application packet. Complete the top section of the form before giving it to a recommender.
6. Copies of every college transcript from every college you have attended, including your current transcript. To be considered for admission to the nursing program, every student must meet the following requirements.
7. A copy of your registration for all courses in progress.
8. A passing score on the Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam (A2): Reading Comprehension, Math, and Anatomy & Physiology. Scores on this nursing entrance examination must be from within one year of application. The admission exam will be offered in Daniels Hall, Elmhurst College on selected evenings and/Saturdays for a cost of $32 (subject to change). Test dates and times to be posted on the Elmhurst College website. For out-of-town applicants, arrangements can be made, through the Deicke Center for Nursing Education.
9. For transfer students only: Written recommendation(s) from the director(s) of all nursing programs attended. This applies to those who have competed or are currently enrolled in nursing courses.
Policies and Procedures for the Review of Applications
Policies for Progression in the Spring Nursing Courses
To be allowed to enroll in the spring nursing courses, those admitted to nursing must first be admitted to Elmhurst College and must follow all polices in the Student Handbook for the Prelicensure Option in the Baccalaureate Program, including:
Approved by DCNE faculty September 14, 2012